Home OceaniaAustralia 7 Epic Winter Wonderland Experiences From Around The World
Falls Creek Snow Chair Lift

Epic Winter Wonderland Experiences as Told By Travel Instagrammers From Around The Globe.

Snow literally and aesthetically changes any landscape into the most magical scene. Be it in the city surrounded by sky scrapers to the forest in the wilderness, it never ceases to amaze me just how beautiful nature can be. Here is a collection of epic winter wonderland experiences as told by travellers traversing the globe in the hunt for the perfect day.

#01 – BIG WHITE, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA

Instagram Follow: @honeymoon.backpackers

We bundled up in layers of clothing to keep warm in the sub zero temperatures, while shredding the slopes. Fresh powder, waxed snowboard and blue skies, what more could you ask for?

We road tripped on our honeymoon around Canada, snowboarding at the some of the best slopes in the world like Whistler, Lake Louise and Revelstoke. However, nothing beats this day on the slopes. We pretty much had the mountain to ourselves and was able to snowboard from the peak of Big White all the way to our car. This was one of the most epic winter wonderland experiences we’ve ever had!

Big White Canada Chair Lift Couple Kissing

#02 – NUUKSIO NATIONAL PARK, HELSINKI, FINLAND

Instagram Follow: @familyglobetrotters

Traversing across ice and snow in a National Park in Northern Europe wasn’t something I thought I could access easily. It was only by chance that in my research for something off the beaten track to do whilst we were in Finland did I stumble across this marvellous opportunity. Nuuksio National Park is located only 45 minutes outside of Helsinki and we decided to commission a private tour guide to take us out for the day.

We had picked a day where the National Park was devoid of trekkers or locals. There is something to be said about walking across frozen Lake Haukkalampi with no one else in sight. Surrounded by the Finnish forest as the snow and ice weighed down upon its native tress and plants, we enjoyed a hike of epic beauty. We simply couldn’t take in enough of the serenity, exquisite beauty and the wonders of what nature had to offer in the winter. This will remain a highlight of our travels for many years to come.

Nuuksio National Park Finland Hiking Frozen Lake
#03 – LAKE TAHOE, CALIFORNIA, USA

Instagram Follow @the.adventures.of.panda.bear

Growing up in northern California, I’ve always been within a few hours reach of Lake Tahoe. While I’ve skied and snowboarded on occasion, it hasn’t meant that I’ve seen beautiful snow because some days it’s sunny and there’s just no precipitation. But the best winter wonderland experience I’ve ever had was seeing snow-topped trees the day after a whiteout blizzard. The landscape looked so magical!

Winter Lake Tahoe California Forest with Snow

#04 – LAKE LAKA, PRÁŠILY, ŠUMAVA MOUNTAINS, CZECH REPUBLIC

Instagram Follow: @sharka123

Two years ago, we had so much snow. All the forests in the mountains turned into a snow kingdom. With my friend we just wrapped up and walked in knee high soft powder.

For many years this area was prohibited. Unless you were a guard on the border you were not allowed to come here. This was the border between the former Eastern Block, the communist countries and the free Western World, between Czechoslovakia and Germany.

But because it was closed to the public for over 50 years, the nature is nearly untouched. Prášily has been a long-forgotten village with only few locals still living here in old houses. Tourists were not allowed here as it was too close to the border with Germany for fear of illegal border crossings.

But now it is springing back to life. With a coffee shop, variety of affordable accommodation and cosy pubs it is becoming a great local tourist hotspot without the heavy price tag. I love it here, both in summer and in winter, in spring and autumn. There are a lot of trips to do here such as cross-country skiing, hiking, and even horse riding. And after a gruelling hike, you can indulge in a sweet treat or a svařák, hot wine from the local pub.

YOU MIGHT LIKE:   10 Most Disappointing Travel Destinations in the World

Lake Laka, Czech Republic, girl posing in snow#05 – TORONTO ISLAND, LAKE ONTARIO, CANADA

Instagram Follow: @wandereandow

This picture was taken in Toronto Island in what the locals referred as the coldest winter in 50 years. Lake Ontario was partly frozen and I was way colder that what the picture depicts. Toronto Island is a small land in front of Canada’s most important city, just a 20 min boat ride. For some reason, I decided to go to study to Toronto in January and I sure wasn’t prepared for the -40C that I got to experience. However, it was an amazing experience and Toronto island is at its best with the snow.

Looking for some of the most EPIC Winter Wonderland Experiences as told by Travel Instagrammers? Here's are awesome list! #winterwonderland #familytravel Click To Tweet

Toronto Island, Lake Ontario, girl winter

#06 – GUADELUPE MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK, TEXAS, USA

Instagram Follow: @our21stcenturyodyssey

This photo was taken on a crisp December morning and I love it because it captures the total immersion my husband and I experienced surrounded by frost on the ground below us and on every limb of the desert flora around us.

My husband and I had come to this park on a whim – we hadn’t even heard of it until we picked it at random off of a list of national parks. We had a last-minute opportunity to spend a long weekend somewhere, and we wanted to go somewhere we knew little about. We knew that deserts get cold at night, and especially with it being December, we packed our wool hiking clothes. Even with our expectations about the cool temperatures, though, we were taken aback by what we found in Guadelupe Mountains.

The morning we drove into the park was a foggy one, but as we got closer the sky began to clear, revealing a surprising scene. Every cactus was covered in sparkling white frost left by the dissipating fog. By the time we were on the McKittrick Canyon trail, we were surrounded by a true winter wonderland, made all the more magical by our utter surprise. Never had I imagined such a snowy scene could exist in the desert of the American West- bordering Mexico, no less. To this day it’s one of my most memorable and surprising travel experiences.

YOU MIGHT LIKE:   12 Of The Most Pristine Beaches in the World

Guadelupe Mountains National Park Texa Frozen desert
#07 – FALLS CREEK, VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA

Instagram Follow: @familyglobetrotters

Many travellers don’t associate alpine skiing with Australia. Known for its beaches and even desert, it certainly isn’t considered to be a popular destination for snow. Unknown to many, Olympic sportsmen and women train in the Southern Hemisphere when its summer in the Northern Hemisphere.

On our recent trip to Falls Creek, we were caught in an unprecedented thunder snow storm. I didn’t eve know what that meant until it unleashed itself upon us and it shut down the mountain. No one was allowed up or down the mountain and everyone returned to their accommodation or cars. We on the other hand, decided to head to the back of the slopes for a bit of toboggining with the kids. Oh my…. did we have fun! With snow pounding down on our faces, we sled down the powdered slopes, hand snow balls fights and made the best snow angels. It was such a magical few hours of family time as I watched my daughter catch snow flakes on her eyelids.

Falls Creek Family Skiing Chair Lift

What epic winter wonderland experiences do you have fond memories of? We would love to hear them and to add to list!

BONUS TIP #1 – RELATED ARTICLES

14 Useful Tips for Planning Your First Ski Holiday

8 Reasons You Should Visit Finland’s Nuuksio National Park In Winter

10 Ski Gear Essentials for Beginner Skiers

7 Epic Winter Wonderland Experiences From Around The World

Disclaimer: The Family Globetrotter’s website contains affiliate links which help us to maintain this blog and assists us with our travels, at no extra cost to you. Family Globetrotters have also posted articles based on sponsored products and/or services, but all opinions are our own, truthful and unbiased.

32 comments

Mayuri May 15, 2018 - 11:45 am

What a great compilation! I have covered BC and Toronto in winters. Would love to explore Australia and Czech Republic in winters
Awesome read

Family Globetrotters May 17, 2018 - 10:57 am

Thanks Mayuri! I have done Prague in the winter and I can safely say it was absolutely beautiful. Especially when you walk across Charles Bridge en route to the Prague Castle. A Petrin Hill is stunning especially when you take the funicular up. I sooo have to do Canada in the winter!

Lev Leetian May 3, 2018 - 11:42 pm

I would have to add Yellowknife in Canada for one of my best winter experiences! You can see the Aurora Borealis almost every day up until April, and the town is so quaint. The photos you shared are gorgeous! The snow covered tree tops are wonderful. I’m not a very winter person (I prefer autumn), but these places just made me want to visit them for winter. Thanks for sharing!

Family Globetrotters May 4, 2018 - 3:34 pm

Oh what a dream to be able to the lights almost every day! I think visiting and living in a place with such cold winters is very different. A quick visit would just be wonderful. I haven’t been to Canada yet so I’m excited to go one day!

eli April 30, 2018 - 6:17 am

Texas would have been the last place I expected to see on this list!

Family Globetrotters May 4, 2018 - 2:21 pm

Hahah! You and me both! Everyone is surprised by Australia more than Texas though. How funny:)

David April 30, 2018 - 5:47 am

Really cool and fun post! I wouldn’t have thought Australia would be on this list. You should definitely check out Iceland or Norway to add to this post!

Family Globetrotters May 4, 2018 - 2:19 pm

Haha! You’re not the first to say that about Australia. Its only a very small portion of the country on the East Coast and even then just for a few short months over the winter. But enough to sustain fairly good alpine resorts. We do love heading up there for a long weekend. Yes, definitely Iceland and Norway would have been good!

Sarah Puckett April 29, 2018 - 7:45 pm

I never would have even thought about Australia for winter wonderland! How cool 😀

Family Globetrotters May 4, 2018 - 2:17 pm

Australia often gets over looked for your alpine activities. We don’t get snow in our cities but certainly do up in the mountains. We have quite a few ski resorts here. Guess we’re lucky, we get the beach and the ski fields! Looking forward to our trip again this year as the winter months are coming!

Becca Talbot April 29, 2018 - 7:59 am

I’m feeling chilling just looking at this post haha! I second some of the comments here about adding Iceland to the list though – it’s all about the Northern Lights and 4 hours of daylight in the winter in Iceland 🙂 x

Family Globetrotters May 4, 2018 - 2:15 pm

I know Becca! Would have been great to have been able to add Iceland to the list. Kind of a no brainer really. Well, next time! Iceland is such a popular destination now.

Followingtherivera April 29, 2018 - 3:55 am

Wow, all of these are really great winter wonderland experiences! I’ve not yet been to Czech Republic or Finland, so would most like to see these places. That said, I also would like to see Lake Tahoe covered in all that incredible snow. Really beautiful photos.

Family Globetrotters May 4, 2018 - 2:13 pm

Thank you so much! Finland was an incredible experience and I’m so glad that was available for us to do because we didn’t like Helsinki very much. Nuuksio National Park is so gorgeous and at the time, there was no one around so we pretty much had the whole National Park to ourselves! You can check out more in this article: http://familyglobetrotters.com/8-reasons-go-nuuksio-national-park-finland-winter-2/

As for Lake Tahoe…. oh yes! Looks stunning!

Shaily April 28, 2018 - 7:35 pm

Wow! These are indeed wonderland experiences. All these places look incredibly beautiful! I’ve haven’t been to any of these destinations and I can’t decide which ones to select. Love your super cool pictures! 🙂

Family Globetrotters May 4, 2018 - 2:10 pm

Hahaha Shaily! Yes, that the problem isn’t it? The world is so big, there is just so much to see. And they all offer such different perspectives and different experiences. I think they all look magical and as we approach the winter in the South Hemisphere, I am looking forward to the ski season down here!

Verena April 28, 2018 - 12:46 am

That’s a great list! It looks very cold, but I’m also a summer girl 😀 But I would really love to visit Canada during winter. Must have been amazing!

Family Globetrotters May 4, 2018 - 2:07 pm

I thought I was a summer girl too until I went to Europe many years ago in the winter. ever since then, I have loved the snow and ice. But then again I don’t get this in Melbourne so every trip is such a novelty. Yes, Canada looks amazing doesn’t it? Don’t know how I will go in -30 degree Celsius though!

daniele April 27, 2018 - 8:21 pm

These experiences are so amazing. I would love to do these somedays. Great post

Family Globetrotters May 4, 2018 - 2:06 pm

Thanks Daniele. Yes they all have something special to offer and the winter just makes everything so magical!

Snita April 27, 2018 - 8:05 pm

Great list! All the destinations look just so beautiful! Can’t decide which ones to travel too! Great post and beautiful images!

Snita http://www.herfavfood.com

Family Globetrotters May 4, 2018 - 2:05 pm

Thanks Snita! I think travelling to all of them would make a nice trip:)

passportofawanderwoman April 27, 2018 - 4:39 pm

Beautiful post. I lived in Indiana for a long time, so I was not very fond of the snow for a few years after leaving Indiana. But now, these places seem like a good idea. Of course Tahoe is beautiful. ICeland, yes would be an addition to the list.

Family Globetrotters April 27, 2018 - 6:16 pm

I understand what you mean. If we want snow, we actually have to go searching for it. The closest alpine region for me is about 4 hours away. We don’t get snow in the city so for us, we try to go when we can so we can experience what its like everyday. LAst winter in 2017, we went to Northern Europe only for it to have ben an unprecedently warm winter! Not as much snow as we would have liked and we were a bit dissappointed. Next time!

Iuliana Marchian April 27, 2018 - 4:13 pm

I think I’d prefer Falls Creek, Victoria. I have never been to Autralia and we all know that when it’s winter in Europe, it’s summer in Australia. I think it would be interesting to experience how it happens the other way round. Great article and thanks for sharing these beautiful locations with us.

Family Globetrotters April 27, 2018 - 6:14 pm

Yes, we all plan our travel tips in opposites! So our Christmas is hot and I know that must be a weird concept for some people. I’d love to have a white Christmas one year:) This July when its cold, we are escaping to Hawaii for the beach but when we get back we are going skiing again. So I guess we get the best of both worlds:)

Mayuri April 27, 2018 - 3:12 pm

Such a wonderful collab post! I live in Canada and as speak we are still covered with snow – but the winter destinations still have a piece of my heart
It looks so heavenly and nice!
I’m off to Iceland this winter 😀

Family Globetrotters April 27, 2018 - 6:12 pm

STILL covered in snow? Its May in a few days! I would love to visit Canada in the winter although I also want to see it in the Spring…. so conflicted. My list for things to do in Canada is looong…. might just have to go twice! And yes, Iceland in the winter…. bliss!

Dhara April 26, 2018 - 11:35 pm

Beautiful photos and great list! I am nervous about traveling to cold places because of having to drive on snow and ice, but snow sure does make everything look gorgeous!

Family Globetrotters April 27, 2018 - 12:02 am

Oh you don’t have to drive on the snow and ice….. get someone else to do it! LOL!. It is so magical. Nothing looks the same after that:)

Overland Travel Blog April 26, 2018 - 7:50 pm

Nice collab list. I would have to have said Iceland for mine. I have been 4 times, so its a total no brainer for me.

Family Globetrotters April 27, 2018 - 12:01 am

Oh and I would have loved an Icelandic addition! Where were you when I needed you?? LOL! I’m sure your adventures were amazing and memorable.